The rawhide chews from Costco that we have around the house for Bandit have all been picked up and thrown away. K and I were discussing several things last night right before American Idol started. One was the fact that our neighbor, Bev, encouraged us to not let Bandit have rawhide chews. She has been told by her vet about intestinal blockages and obstructions that he's operated on all due to the ingestion of rawhides. He's also seen and repaired gastrointestinal tract lacerations caused from sharp edges. Shortly after talking to Bev I got on the Internet and Googled several eye-opening stories relayed by dog owners about traumatic chokings, intestinal problems, and numerous deaths all related to the innocent chewing and ingestion of rawhide chews. Yikes!!
Bandit sat with us during American Idol (we're all rooting for Crystal Bowersox!!) and we let him chew on rawhide for the last time. When the show was over I went upstairs and disposed of any chewies lying around, and K disposed of the downstairs ones. It just seems too risky.