Jun 14, 2010

Grease is the Word

We had such a beautiful day yesterday.  It was just perfect for barbecuing.  I have one of those beer-can-chicken things that you sit a whole chicken on top of for grilling purposes, so I filled it with some leftover flat pop that M had put in the fridge the night before after coming home from seeing the new A-Team movie.  I plopped a chicken on top, rubbed some bagged spices on it, and put it on the grill.  It takes about an hour and a half to get the chicken good and cooked.  After each 30-minute interval I go out and turn the chicken for even cooking.

After yesterday's chicken had cooked for an hour and I went out for the last turn, Bandit came out with me.  When I was done I came back inside but Bandit wanted to continue being outside.  After a bit I went to the slider to take a peek at what he was up to.  He was underneath the grill licking chicken grease off the wood below.  When I told him no and asked him to come here, he came right over.  Fortunately, I realized he was a mess before I let him run straight into the house.  If he didn't have the white stripe running down the back of his neck I never would have noticed the greasy mess, but since his white streak was now orange, there was no question of what had happened.  It was obvious that while he was underneath licking chicken grease, it was also dripping on top of his neck (orange Vietnamese spices and all!).

I yelled for K to bring some warm water and the Palmolive.  I had just given Bandit a good bath about two weeks ago and had used up the very last of the pet shampoo.  His neck hair was thick and gloppy and saturated in chicken grease.  It was a complete mess!  Fortunately, that Palmolive cut right through and I was able to spot wash his neck area.  Today, his ears still look a little wet because they obviously have a slight coating of grease left in them.

Silly boy.  Such typical dog behavior, and we can laugh about it now.  At the time we thought uh oh, he's going to get diarrhea from this for sure.  But all seems good today, thankfully.

The scene of his doggy fun is shown below.  Obviously, hot dripping chicken grease didn't phase him; I guess that double coat comes in really handy at times.  And now we can't remember if there's supposed to be something underneath the main cooking area that's supposed to catch all that falling grease.  We usually put a foil sheet where the dark spot on the wood is.  I'm sure that wouldn't have stopped our determined little grease licker.

14 comments:

Bella/Dodger/Izzie said...

Too funny!! Sounds like something my dogs would do. Glad that grease didn't burn him!

♥ Sallie said...

"but since his white streak was now orange.." LOL!

Awesome!

Emma Rose said...

Chicken drippings??? Yummy!

Kisses,
Emma Rose

Wyatt said...

Oh, we laugh and laugh, cuz we have(Two) BBQ helpers as well! They lick the deck under the grill, the old briquets, the charred grill....

Wyatt's Mom

Pat said...

So glad the sweet boy didn't get burned. Doesn't seem that when they are clean, some thing happens and they need another shampoo. It never fails, as soon as Lucy gets a bath, she goes out in the yard and rolls in in rabbit poo.

Unknown said...

It's hilarious! I think our Laura and Mika will try their best to clean themselves well before we get a chance to help them, LOL!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

You are one lucky dog Bandit, sorry about the bath thing.


Smileys & Snuggles!
Dory, Bilbo and Jacob

Ryker said...

Man oh man are our dogs truly brothers, now I have to post what happened to Ryker Sunday! We both know how it feels to clean up oil-spill animal victims and should head south and help out!
~Sandy

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Oh too funny:) It must be nice not to have a care in the world. Our pups like chicken droppings, not a good thing at all, but there is no stopping them.No, I haven't picked out 8 names yet for the baby chicks or the frog,the girls can name them. We have a lot of frogs around the ponds. I just realized that Bandit shares a birthday with my daughter - April 7th:) Have a great week:)
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

An English Shepherd said...

Grease yum, yum ;-)

Wizz :-)

Shelley said...

OH yes, gotta have the chicken grease! Hamburger grease too - Woof, Woof!!

P.S. I like your markings Bandit, a lot like mine!

Scout

Katie said...

Mmmmm I think I would've been trying to get the real chicken, but bet those grease drops sure tasted yummy too! Thanks for stopping by my blog and introducing yourself. My two-legged humomma said to tell you that they were thinking about getting a pup just like you some day cuz you're so cute! Naw I'm not jealous at all, already share my house with three other canines and three kitties.

Wags...
Katie

Pat Wahler said...

Good n' greasy...get it while it's hot!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Mini Aussie Ace! said...

Haha Sounds like a Mini Aussie to me!!! Ace's *Grandparents* have a built in BBQ that is next to these stone steps...well Ace has learned how to hop up and walk behind the BBQ!!!(like on the same level) It freaks me out because if it was on, he could easily get burned!!! I think he does it to scare me though...I just know he is laughing at me when he jumps up there!!
Bandit's little adventures seriously crack me up!! He sounds like one very sneaky pup!